Background: Oprah Winfrey is interviewing now defrocked 7 time Tour de France Winner, Lance Armstrong. Unless you have been off the planet for the last 3 months, you probably know Lance was found guilty of violating United States Anti-Doping Agency rules by using performance enhancing drugs throughout his career–including EPO, cortisone, and blood doping. He is also accused by some former teammates (Tyler Hamilton, Jonathan Vaughters, and Floyd Landis) of strongly encouraging –read pressuring– them to use PED’s, as well. Lance has vehemently denied this throughout his career, bringing napalm-like lawsuits against any accuser, whether former friend or foe.
Here are the Top Five Questions Oprah should ask Lance:
1. You once said, ”All endurance athletes are running away from something inside themselves.” What were you running from?
2. What deep within drove you to a “win at any cost” attitude?
3. Is their a core element of your identity you thought you’d lose if you weren’t Lance the Champion and just Lance the Very Incredible Rider? For the record, you were talented before the EPO, I “raced” you in triathlons–you were burning good. TDF 7x, I don’t know, but burning good.
4. Do you think you pressured other teammates to dope and, if so, how does it feel now that they got caught up in the wake of your desire to win?
5. If you could go back and repair any relationship, which is the first one you’d want to repair?
More than the how did you hide it, why did you payoff UCI and why did you deny it so long, these questions should be asked.
Like her or not, Oprah is great at getting into someone’s soul.
Mike Tyson broke down crying on her show and told of his emptiness and longing to be loved. Before, Mike Tyson was biting off peoples’ ears (okay person’s).
Now is your chance, Oprah. Now is your chance, Lance. Forgiveness is available upon confession. Trust me, I know.
When: The special 90-minute episode of Oprah’s Next Chapter will air Thursday, January 17, from 9 to 10:30 p.m. ET/PT on OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network. In addition, the interview will be simultaneously streamed LIVE worldwide on Oprah.com.